Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

On 3 Nov 2016 01:18:30 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-11-02, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 1 Nov 2016 04:11:03 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Did you wear out a number-style label maker? I hated old Mercenary's
Bends (IIRC) repairs because of the numbered wires. Man, that was a
crispy old memory. Crap like this:
http://www.linkbelt.com/lit/images/p...ive_Wiring.jpg

Our military used the same method long ago.

I remember when I worked at a place which was making flight
simulators for the Navy, the cable harnesses had gazillions of 22 ga
white wires which were run through a machine which hot-stamped a number
every few inches -- and each wire had a different number, which matched
numbers in wire lists and on schematics. (Typical connectors were 104
pin rectangular ones with crimp-on pins.) The harness in the cockpit
was mostly the same 22 ga wires, in a bundle about 8" diameter.

Funny you should say that. I didn't make the cut at the F-14
Simulator shop on NAS Miramar because I didn't have bubble memory
experience, having just graduated from Coleman's Computer Electronics
Technology course. I'm very glad I didn't make it. g

This was before bubble memory came (and went). :-) The simulator
was for the LTV A7-A -- a carrier based light attack aircraft.

That was the only instance I heard of bubble memory to this day. It
didn't exist in the real world.

Silicone is messy and
nasty.

We used to use it to insulate some HV trigger coils for flash
lamps in lasers. I hated to work with that, too. I never did find a
way to clean it off quickly and easily.

Nor did I.

That was one of the things I hated about the car wash guys
using ArmorAll on the _steering_wheels_ before I test drove the
repaired cars at the body shop. I asked them if they were trying to
drum up new business for the shop.

Who would have paid for the repairs after that? (You-- or was
it that the owners would not be expecting the slick steering wheel? :-)

I didn't know what ArmorAll was a silicone oil/grease.

Thread drift. I expanded the thread to include all silicones since I
haven't worked that much with the com cable goo. I did work with
automotive silicone dielectric goo products. Another nasty product is
the heatsink goo for CPUs.

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.