HerHusband

Default Woodstove Hearth, Flush to Floor?

Bob,

One issue that many folks miss is the combustibility of the walls.

We'll be following the manufacturers recommendation for the distance to the
combustible walls at the rear and side of the wood stove (probably adding a
little extra just to be safe).

A 400lb stove placed in the center of a span
will certainly test those limits.

The floor is constructed of 2x10 floor joists, 16" OC, spanning a distance
of 12'. That is covered with 3/4" T&G OSB plywood subfloor. The woodstove
only weighs 270 pounds, and will sit right at the end of the span (The wall
behind the stove is the bearing wall).

You can tile over an acceptable thickness of plywood
without the backerboard/cementboard/whatever

Since we need the backerboard for the hearth protection, it makes sense to
use the same method for the rest of the floor.

Thanks for the feedback!

Anthony