Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?

In article , says...

Thanks for that suggestion!

How does this one look from Home Depot?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/120-Volt-...3885/205409893

One question is whether I need "instant start" or "programmed/rapid start":
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/4...cent-ballasts/

I think I need "rapid" start because that's what is there now, I think.

Since cost is a major issue for me (I have little money but want to get rid
of the buzzing from the bad ballast and if I can get rid of fluorescent
tubes and save money on electricity, that would be a plus), here's the cost
breakdown:

$20 for the T8 electronic ballast
$28 for the four T8 LED bulbs
%50 roughly, for the retrofit

Is that my best option?

You need to get the bulbs to match the ballast which in this case is
'instant start'. I have not bought any floursecent bulbs ina while, but
the last time I bought them seems that I could get a box of 12 for only
a little more than 4 bulbs.

If going to the LED type bulbs you may not even need the ballast. I
have not replaced any flourscent with the LED in the same fixture so can
not comment on that.