Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Use 1" furnace filter instead of 5" ?

On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 11:14:05 AM UTC-4, Allie wrote:
replying to FromTheRafters, Allie wrote:
Ok so I didn't notice his post was from 2006..let's move on. Can a 2" work
with an adapter? Need help, not scarcaism. And I'm a woman, not a man.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...-5-155883-.htm

How can anyone answer a general question like that? There are many
manufacturers of filter housings and filters and many sizes. In theory
you would think you could fabricate some kind of holder to get a
thinner filter in there. Or maybe there is a size that goes right in.
Have a measuring tape? But what it takes is going to depend on
what exactly you have. Also, realize that you're going to live with
more dirt getting through and/or the filter getting clogged faster.
Those 5" media trap finer particles, but they also have much greater
surface area.