Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Hickeys

On 11/01/2016 12:56 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I've not even bothered to try to get net 30 terms lately as it's just
too much of a hassle. With small places, if you are a regular, they just
offer it, no big deal. With any "corporate" type place there's 3 pages of
forms. I guess you can use NEBs or U-Line as credit reference, but I doubt
they'd reply to any such request. FWIW NEBs the check printer and U-Line
the packing supply place offers net 30 to anybody that can manage to just
ask them for it.

None here that I trade with regularly are "small-enough" to have such
open accounts as used to be common in the '40s/'50s/'60s but otoh none
that have had to deal with new forms changing names or businesses
changing hands have been more than one page at most. Even Stanion's new
one is one page only.

I've no trouble with enough local accounts to list as references plus
bank is locally owned and know them quite well so don't expect any real
hassles other than just having to go to the trouble of listing them down
again -- I don't have them memorized nor in a database although guess
this'll be the impetus for at least making a listing of the contact info
for future reference now...

It'd be such a hassle to have to always be sure had either checkbook or
even wallet every time had to run to town for parts or somesuch during
day if didn't have accounts; I generally don't carry such on me while
working, too much likelihood of never finding if were to lose it
somewhere so just generally don't. If I'm planning ahead it's not so
bad, but much of what happens is spur-of-moment need that occurs because
something breaks or the like...

I had more difficulties with some suppliers for the technical consulting
gig when dealing with instrumentation so could manage to invoice clients
prior to having to pay distributors more like your above, though. When
the existing contracts had in place when returned to the farm came to an
end, however, I let them all lapse and have reverted fully to the
farming enterprise since as it requires no travel (other than to/from
the field and lots of back'n forth or 'round 'n 'round therein, anyways!
).