Gary Slusser

Default A Puzzle - Iron and Yellow Colour in the Water

"Peter Martin" wrote

"Phil J" wrote
Where are you (6 hours from Vancouver)?

The town is called Powell River, located on the coast due north of
Vancouver.

Where is your shallow well
situated in terms of vegetation, runoff, etc? What is the casing

made
of? (if it's galvanized culvert, that may be the cause of the
problem, or at least may contribute to it)?

The well is located in the middle of a fairly large driveway which is

paved
with asphalt. On the "upslope" side of the driveway there is a 40

foot
lawn with fruit trees, then a hedge, then a paved rural road. On the

other
side of that there is another house with another lawn. Further up

from that
there is bush.

The casing is made of circular concrete rings, one on top of the

other.
Each ring is 4 feet in diameter and 2 feet high. There is a concrete

floor
at the top of the well, on which is mounted the pressure tank and the
electrical controls for the pump. There is a small square hole in

the
concrete floor, about 3 feet by 2 feet, covered with a stainless steel

plate
to provide access to the well itself. There are also concrete rings

above
this concrete floor. These rings form the circular wall of a small

room.
The "ceiling" of the room is made of concrete, with a stainless steel

plate
providing access from above.

As an aside, I've never seen nor taken samples from the bottom of the

well
and, although there is no direct evidence one way or the other, it's
possible there could be vegetation matter at the bottom of the well.

It
would be necessary to find and hire a contractor with specialized

equipment
to check the bottom of the well because of the small size of the

access
hole. This has not been done yet because, I have always assumed that

the
tannins came from decaying grass clippings from the lawns, and from

dead
leaves etc in the bush, and not from anything in the well itself.

Total coliforms in shallow wells are a common phenomenom, not
necessarily a health risk, but indicative of surface material and
runoff getting into the well.

When we moved in, we noticed several small holes one inch in diameter

in the
side of the well, in the concrete rings, level with the asphalt. (The
concrete rings protrude above the level of the asphalt driveway.)

Some of
the run-off from the rain was running down the asphalt driveway and

getting
into the well through these holes. It had probably been that way for
years. We plugged the holes about 3 months ago.

I haven't personally seen yellow water from high iron in water, so

am
wondering if it's something else. Is the water yellow in the well,

or
only after being exposed to air?

The water is yellow as soon as it comes out of the tap and stays that

way.
It does not change colour. There doesn't seem to be any iron
precipitating from the water.

I work as a public health inspector with many years experience in BC
and have had a lot of involvement with private water systems.
You are welcome to contact me for (free) advice if you like at
.

Thank you. I would very much appreciate any advice you could offer.

will probably send you an email in the near future, after more of this
continuing "saga" of water problems unfolds.

So Peter, I don't know where Phil is but we shouldn't wait any longer
for him because he may never return! lol

IMO you need a hydrocarbons scan and total iron test. This sounds like
colloidal iron to me although it could be tannin or lignin. Try this,
get a screw cap gallon jug filling it with cold water and a cap full of
non-scented regular 5.25% or 6 % concentrate household bleach until it
overflows (no air) and shake it good, then sit it aside and watch it
over a few hours for any change in the color, clarity or sediment to
form on the bottom. Then let me know what happened if anything.

What type of pressure tank do you have?

Have you drained and flushed it lately?

Has this color been there since you first arrived and how long have you
been there?

Gary
Quality Water Associates