Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 18:14:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Ha!

6 feet of romex. The friendly electrical supply house here will
load your
vehicle up even if you're clearly not in the trade. The other
places with
the shiny showrooms seem to be bothered by any sort of counter
sale. They
also seem to have huge warehouses full of nothing as even simple
stuff
doesn't seem to be in stock for some reason. I don't get it, but
whatever.

Around 1990, I was building a TV station in Destin, Florida.
There was a branch of an electrical supply house that I used, back
home. They refused to sell to me. So, I smiled and said, "No
problem. I'm going home on Friday evening, so I'll by it at that
branch. I'll also ask the manager to contact corporate, to report
you."

All of a sudden, a cash sale was OK. Then I discovered that they
only stocked Black White & Brown THHN in 14 AWG. I needed to replace
a damaged wiring harness of over 200 conductors, so it was real fun
with only three colors.

For those who may not know:
https://www.bradyid.com/en-us/produc...d-cable-labels

Labeling was no problem, but only being able to pull three wires at
a time, instead of 10 meant that it took more than three times as long
to make and test the huge harness. I not only labeled each conductor at
each end, I covered each label with cleat heatshrink, and tinned the ends.

You COULD have bought more than one roll of each color - this would
reduce the time spent = quite possibly enough to pay for any waste
wire left over after the job (which could be used on another job,
anyway)