CBHvac

Default Cordless Drill: Dual Speed range?

"MIchael Jasper" wrote in message
om...
Hi-

I am looking at a cordless Firestorm Drill - either the 12 or 14.4 V
models. (Yes, I'm aware of concerns about B&D reliability, but this
will be for light household project use (eg putting together a
sandbox)- probably once or twice/month - and the B&D factory store is
very convenient for me, whereas taking any other brand in for repair
would be very inconvenient). Also replacement batteries for B&D
models seem much more reasonable than other brands.

Black and Decker, is DeWalt....just for information...

Personally...having owned at least one of every major cordless drill out
there it seems, the two top brands, in my opinion, as someone that uses them
hard day in and day out, are Milwaukee and Makita. You will want to look for
dual range, with electric brake.
Plus...Milwaukee has that lifetime warranty on the drill itself..very nice..

The 12 V model is lighter and is being offered in a great deal with a
laser level, but does not have the dual speed/torque range offered on
the 14.4 V model or the quick change chuck. I figure I can get a
quick change system to make up for the chuck, but obviously not the
speed range. I would appreciate comments on whether the low speed
range is worth the extra money for this kind of use. If I go for the
12 V model, will I regret not having the 0-400 rpm range for driving
screws?

I pay on average, over $200 for ever drill we buy, and the answer is, yes,
its worth the extra you spend. Low speed, high torque settings are worth
every penny you spend on it, particularly when you need it, and didnt get
it.
14.4 would be the min I would buy...even for home use. We bought a 12V model
for around the house, and I am constantly getting either the 14.4 or the 18
volt models out to finish the job...not due to the battery or anything, for
speed, and power..
As far as a quick change chuck..all mine have that..its called a keyless
Jacobs..LOL..or other, as the Milwaukees do not use Jacobs chucks on the 18V
models...thankfully..

Thanks for your help.

Michael Jasper