George

Default *Putting* water in your DC collection bin?

Did you do any search at all, or read the material I referenced?

Did you catch the significance of the CRITICAL temperature? 100 C / 212 F
is the boiling point of water, which, up until that temperature is reached,
has been cooling the mass by evaporation, preventing ignition. You see, wet
hay, even when green, has to dry out before it can combust.

As I look out to the north I see round bales stretching across the next 40.
All have great bulk to provide insulation, all are undeniably wet, and none
are flaming, because the volatile organics which cause spontaneous ignition
are not there.

Oh yes, you put out a hay fire with water.

"Richard Clements" wrote in message
I'm going to have to go with Dave on this, growing up my dad was the fire
chief in a rural town in eastern ID, my grandfather was the fire chief in
Rexburg( 3 miles away), according to them you should NEVER leave wet
Organic material, hey, sawdust, grass clipping, etc. where they can't dry,
they'll begin to rot which makes heat, then they start to smolder, and as
soon as there exposed to air (like dumping the container) they'll burst
into flames, ever wonder why the trash company doesn't want to take yard
clipping?