Dave K.

Default Storm window as main shed window?

We're looking for some super-inexpensive windows with screens to put in a
shed we are building. Someone suggested to me to use storm windows alone as
the main windows, and at $25 a piece, it costs half as much as a cheap
regular window, plus they are super easy to install and they make one that
is 24" wide, which will work perfectly with the shed's 24" on center
studs -- all of which appeals to us.

So I bought some storm windows (Philips Sealtite brand), and when reading
the directions, it says that if the storm window is not going in front of a
wooden window, it still needs to be on a slanted sill that should be at
least 3 inches wide, to channel the water into the bottom grooves of the
window. so water will drain through the weep holes on the outside.

I was just planning to frame our shed with regular 2x4s, and if I don't have
to, I don't really want to build an inner slanted sill for each window -- I
just want to use a flat 2x4, like you'd rest a regular window on when
framing it.

I haven't worked with storm windows before, so I have a lot of questions:

* Will storm windows work for the main windows in an unheated, uninsulated
shed? Has anyone else done this and had success?

* Is the main reason for weep holes to let condensation on the inside of the
glass drip out, and if this shed is unheated, do I even have to worry about
condensation?

* These storm windows that I bought say they are for "blind stop," not
"overlap" installation. Would a window designed for overlap installation be
a better choice for me, so I wouldn't have to build a slanted sill on the
inside?

* Why does the storm window manufacturer of this Philips Sealtite brand that
I bought recommend a minimum THREE INCH WIDE sill on the inside? That seems
to be a bit wide ... is water going to come pouring through the window in a
rainstorm?

Any advice would be appreciated!!
--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.