Phisherman

Default deck cleaning

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:16:00 GMT, "BKS" wrote:

I built a completely pressure treated deck five years ago and stained with
Sikkens. It's on the north side of the house and now is very dirty---some
black spots (mold, I guess) on the rails, etc.

What's the best way to clean this without damaging the wood or stain (the
stain is holding up very well). I've been told pressure washing is too tough
and a no-no with pressure treated. TSP? Some of those deck
cleaner/brightener products?

Thanks.

The household bleach (1 cup in a gallon of warm water with a little
detergent or TSP added) will kill the mold. The detergent helps
spread the solution and loosen the dirt. It is easier to apply it
using a garden sprayer. If needed you could use a SOFT brush. Leave
the solution on for 5 minutes then rinse off. If the mold has been on
there for some time, a second cleaning may be needed.