meirman

Default Can you derive a 110 volt outlet from a 4 wire 220 volt in the US?

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:49:56 -0400 Gary Tait
posted:

I could be wrong, but I believe that where I am in Canada there is only one
configuration for 220v range plugs. There is a different configuration for

AFAIK, Canada has never allowed 3-prong (AKA crows-foot) for range and
dryer recepticles (although 220V only appliances used them). You
either wired those appliances in, or used a NEMA 14-50/30 4 prong
plug/recepticle. Thr dryer recepticle is nearly identical toa range
one, excepte the neutral slot is L shaped, as opposed to straight on a
range one.

In 1996 or so, USA code adopted the NEMA 14-50/30 for Range/Dryer,
and banned new installations of the crow-foot type of fittings.

So if I ever need a new dryer, I have to buy a new receptacle or save
the cord from the old dryer and use that.

Thanks.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.