Gary Slusser

Default Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay?

"mark Ransley" wrote
Scoot sorry for calling you a troll, at the time you posted last night

,
my cloan was trolling and posting at different sites, there were alot

of
bs posts and I thought yours was a troll to, sorry. Does your

basement
have a drain or sump pump, It was vacant you say, utility and phone

will
show this.. A freeze may have moved the guage. Once a meter guy came

my place, said we used no water for 3 months and checked all wires ,
everything, , he was looking to see how we disabled the remote

reader..
After a few hours he was convinced we cheated, I asked if he checked

the
outside reader, he said they cannot go bad, I told him try a new one

we
were hit by lightning, he did, the outside reader was bad. He told me,
he was tought this was impossible ,, but it was bad..
The average supply puts out 4 to 5 gal min. 385000 is equal to more
than 8 .9 gal min. more than enough to fill 10 good swimming pools,
this amount should be to amazing for your water co to beleive is
nothing other than a freak freeze problem. the rep said freeze

plate,,I
say it jammed the gears in freezing, Either way you have to fight
it,,,, demand the bad meter back, for independant testing, in writing,
today.. and talk to the rep that said it was frozen...

Given 'normal' city water pressure, or as little as 50 psi on a well
water system, you get much more than 4-5 gpm from an open ended 1/2"
line; more like 8, and if the line was 3/4" which is usually the minimum
service line size around here.... you can push double digits. Now if the
line were 1", you go mid to high 20s gpm. So it depends on the service
line ID and the meter (usually 5/8" around here) but the size of the
freeze plug/plate hole and pressure.

Gary
Quality Water Associates