meirman

Default Can you derive a 110 volt outlet from a 4 wire 220 volt in the US?

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:05:52 GMT "D. Stoner"
posted:

(Steven Kingsley) wrote in
om:

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the great information.

Now that I have confirmation that using a hot , neutral, and ground is
safe; I wonder if anyone knows of a place in Canada that would ship an
adapter to the states?

Seems like it would be a lot easier than replacing circuit breakers
and everything at the junction box.

I've been to three hardware stores and one appliance shop asking about
the adapter. They all hadn't hear of it, but thought it was the most
brilliant idea ever.

For those who haven't seen one..

http://www.applianceaid.com/adaptor.html

Steven

That's the adapter I have - works great. I just checked Home Depot here
and they have them in the electrical section under "Gas Appliance Adapter".
They don't ship anywhere, but I'd imagine there are Home Depots in pretty
much every state.

Isn't Home Depot the one with the horrible website.

I put in water faucets and it gave a list of categories. One was
single handle so I clicked on that. It said there were none at the
store near me. Then wanted to know another zipcode so that it could
look at another store. I actually knew a zipcode near another store,
and again it said not sold at that store. It wanted another zipcode.
I don't know anymore zipcodes. Just give me the next closest store.

Or don't break it up by store in the first place. Show me everything
you sell and if it is worth it, I'll drive 20 miles to buy it.

It turns out both stores, all stores, sell single handled kitchen
faucets, of course.

I could be wrong, but I believe that where I am in Canada there is only one
configuration for 220v range plugs. There is a different configuration for
220v electric clothes dryer plugs, so the adapter is for ranges only. It
wasn't a problem when we converted the electric dryer to gas, however,
since there was already a 110v receptacle for the washing machine next to
the dryer.

That photo didn't look like a USA 220 outlet to me. I think we have
two too, but teh one in the picture looks like a standard 110volt ac
plug.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.