Mark or Sue

Default Can you derive a 110 volt outlet from a 4 wire 220 volt in the US?

"John_B" wrote in message
I asked an electrician to install a 110V outlet from a 220 V dryer
box -- he refused because it was not in conformity with our local
code. What is technically possible is not necessarily code compliant.

About the only thing that would prevent this (NEC wise) is lack of a
grounding wire. Functionally, you could move the red wire to the ground bus
and color it green, but that is not NEC compliant. This applies both to 30A
dryer and 50A range circuits.

If you have a grounding wire and a white and a black, I don't know how this
could violate a local code unles you have some really onerous rules.

--
Mark
Kent, WA