Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Harsh reality in one of USA's poorest towns where people won't vote because they can't afford bus fare

wrote in message

The typical republican is always bitching about their tax money going
to social services for those, who like the people in the West Virginia
coal towns referenced in the original post, have nothing since the
coal mines shut down and there are no jobs to be had in the area.

I would catagorize myself as a fairly typical Republican; I am fiscally
conservative, socially moderate. I have no problem having some portion of
my taxes go to help those who are temporarily needy. The key word there is
"temporarily"; what I object to - and I suspect most do - is the creation of
a government dependent class...one that goes on generation after generation.

Instead of handouts, I would prefer to see programs designed to help people
help themselves. Of course, such a program could only help those who
desired to help themselves. That requires some sense of individual
responsibility from those for whom the program is designed and such sense of
responsibilty seems to be becoming in shorter and shorter supply.

Another thing to which I object is the virtually automatic bestowing of aid
(keeps the social worker bureaucracy going). For example...

SOCIAL WORKER: You are applying for AFDC for another child?? You are
already getting it for four kids..

FEMALE APPLICANT: **** happens.

ME: **** doesn't have to be paid for.