beachcooler

Default A Puzzle - Iron and Yellow Colour in the Water

Gary Slusser wrote:

"beachcooler" wrote

The yellow color is tannins. Water filters are available at home depot

or Lowes
to remove them. They are prevalent in my area, especially with shallow

wells.
Manganese usually colors fixtures and clothes with a greenish tint,

iron turns
things brown, and tannins only color the water but may tinge some

clothing,
especially cotton. The UV is an excellent choice. I would install a

sediment
filter first and a carbon filter after. Should do the trick for about

50 bucks.

Tannins are dissolved in the water and I know of no filter in any big
box store that will remove/reduce true tannins. If those filters are
reducing or removing something, it is particles, commonly called
sediment.

Manganese causes black particles and stains and IIRC can create gray
water albeit rarely. Greenish and green/blue stains is copper. Ferric
iron (insoluble/red water iron) is tan/yellow to rusty reddish dark
brown toward black. Ferrous iron (soluble clear water iron) is dissolved
into the water and can't be seen; neither can heme and organic iron.
Colloidal iron is like tannin but in some cases can be mechanically
filtered if the particles are heavy enough, sometimes not. Carbon is
only to be used on microbiologically safe water (no bacteria) and not a
good choice for ferrous (soluble) iron problems; it goes right through
sediment and carbon filters. UV is only to be used on clear water that
does not contain anything, or enough of it, that will cause a film or
residue on the quartz sleeve that prevents the transmittance of the
invisible light into and through the water being treated. You only get
what you pay for comes to mind...

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Geee, I'll have to tell all those folks here with the carbon filters on
their irrigation wells that they really don't remove the tannins....