Art Begun

Default Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General

One word.... congratulations.

From all of the screwed homeowners of the world.

"MLD" wrote in message
Daughter had the exact same problem. Many cracked tiles and all

were where
the subfloor sections butted together. Called in another tile

contractor, a
number of tiles were pulled up and diagnosis was that the nails on

the
subfloor were spaced too far apart, thus allowing the subfloor to

move.
Tile contractor resisted making amends, very large floor, expensive
tile --Turned out, he had a new employee do the nailing---documented
everything in a letter--small claims court was next--won a

judgment--guy
pleaded poor, judge made him bring in bank statements, business

statements
to show how poor he was. He wasn't poor, lost again and was

instructed to
show up in court on a specific date ready to pay in full; he laughed

and
said that he never would. He never showed up for his court
appearance--daughter got an arrest warrant issued by the court.

Several
days later he was picked by the Sheriff up at his home at 5 AM.

Came before
the judge in handcuffs and was told pay the restitution or stay in

jail.
His daughter was there, whipped out a roll of bills and paid my

daughter in
the spot. He also paid for the labor of ripping out the old

floor--case
closed.
MLD
"Ben" wrote in message
A few months ago I posted to this group about my tile showing an

indentation
directly on top where the subfloor meets. I also explained how one

of the
tiles cracked, the installer replaced them, but then the

indentation came
back and now 5 of the tiles have cracked. Based on various

this group, I contacted the Attorney General since the installer

was
blaming
it on a structual issue. The installer still claims this and

refuses to do
anything else. It appears to me that he did not ensure the

subfloor was
properly secured to the joists and that should be his problem.

I would like to know if anyone has some good suggestions to go

back to the
Attorney General and installer with.

My original message posted some time ago was:

I had a new home built in August 2000 and about a year later

noticed that
one of the tiles was cracked down the middle. This had me look at

all the
tiles and noticed that an indentation was going down the center of

numerous
tiles...happens to be right above where the floor boards meet.

The builder had the tile guy replace the cracked tile, which

caused the
next
tile in line to crack. However, they waited until May 2002 and the

replaced
tile did not crack again...at that time they removed all the tile

that
showed an indentation and the associated wonder board. It was

replaced
with
new wonder board (just the portion below each 12 X 12 tile

(usually in a
line of tiles), tile, and grout.

Well, sadly, it is now showing the indentation on every tile that

was
replaced.

The tile guy claims he has never seen this before and does not

know what
do. I looked at another house he worked on and it too has the same

issue.

I watched him do the job and it appeared to be a good one, but I

am not a
tile expert.

I need some ideas on what could be wrong and what I should do.

Any experts out there?

Ben