Peter Martin

Default A Puzzle - Iron and Yellow Colour in the Water

"Gary Slusser" wrote in message

Assuming your problems are not caused by rusting galvanized etc.
plumbing and/or fittings past the water treatment equipment, ....

All the plumbing in the house after the Managanese Greensand Filter is
copper pipe.

Do you have a properly sized retention tank so the soda ash has
the correct length of time to work?

The solution feeder is installed between the pump in the well and the
pressure tank which is located in a small concrete room immediately above
the well. I was told by the manufacturer of the solution feeder that the
time that the freshly pumped water spends in the pressure tank would be
enough to do the trick and that a separate retention tank would not be
necessary. When I measure the ph level in the water at the faucet inside
the house, the ph level doesn't seem to fluctuate, so that until now my
assumption has been the soda ash system is working properly.

Why aren't you feeding chlorine (too) to treat the tannin, bacteria and

iron?

To be honest, I hadn't thought about feeding chlorine into the water. Also
I'm very much a neophyte with this entire subject, still trying to learn
everything that I can find. If chlorine were added into the soda ash
solution feeder, and then injected into the water being pumped from the
well, presumably it would have to be extracted at a later stage before it
reached the faucets in the house. Would that best be done with an
activated charcoal filter?

While I understand that the chlorine would presumably kill iron bacteria,
how would it help reduce the tannin and iron levels in the water?

You should learn about well cleaning and apply all you can from
what you read to your well.

Thank you for the advice. I will look into this subject.