Edwin Pawlowski

Default Sears special on stove and fridge

"Alan Illeman" wrote in message

How can there be _any_ energy efficiency in a newer stove? It still uses
electricity and if I'm not mistaken, uses resistance heating. Assuming

that
I'll be using the same cooking temperatures with the new one, as I did

with
the old, where are the savings ??

You are mistaken. He mentioned "Pilotless" so he is talking gas. If the old
one has a pilot, there will be savings. The oven is probably better
insulated anyway, but that would be minor.

Do you have any figures on "energy efficent fridges" comparing new to
our 20-year old one. I guess the design of the compressor could have
changed in those years, but I doubt the principles that dictate how it
works, have. I guess there could be better overall insulation,

Technology h as improved considerably in both areas. In my case, replacing
an old fridge with one that has 50% larger capacity, frost free, resulted in
a savings of $12 a month. Look at any appliance that uses a sealed system
compressor. Don't take my word for it, do a little research nd you will be
impressed.

but my
suspicion is that manufacturers would skimp on factors that would make
such a common household appliance last longer -- it's counterproductive
to sales and the bottom line, in this global economy.

Better efficiency and durability are not necessarily related.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome