Joe Odom

Default The Roof Replacement Experience

"DJ" wrote in message
Hello everyone:

This is the first time I'm ever going to have my roof replaced. This is
also the first time posting to this newsgroup. Looks interesting; I'll

have
to catch up on reading some old posts. I hope that someone here with the
experience will have time to answer my questions here. My house is just a
small bi-level; one floor takes up about 600 sq. ft. Reading the

agreement
papers with the roofing contractor has me worried about a few things.

1. Noise. Really, how noisy is it? Is it enough to want to be out of

the
house?

2. Be home or not to be home? I'm inclined to be home when they're
working, but is there any reason why I shouldn't be?

3. Vibrations; I have no real valuables in the house, but do I really

need
to be worried about taking pictures down?

4. Our "attic" area is unfinished, and we don't store anything up there.
There's just a sea of exposed insulation. Should I cover it before they
open up the roof? Or can roof debris just drop into the insulation and

stay
there forever?

If you have any other observations that you think a novice to getting a

roof
replaced should know, please tell me! I really appreciate anyone's

insight
on the matter.

Thanks,
DJ

Definitely be there- to supervise/control them and protect your property.
I'd take down heavy or valuable pictures- and anything breakable displayed
on shelves attached to the building.

My experience has been that roofers are at or near the bottom of
subcontractordom. The key is knowing when they're lying to you-- and here's
how you tell: watch their lips-- if they're moving, their most likely lying.

Joe

--
"This is my keyboard. There are many like it, but this one is mine."