Joe Odom

Default The Roof Replacement Experience

"DJ" wrote in message
Hello everyone:

This is the first time I'm ever going to have my roof replaced. This is
also the first time posting to this newsgroup. Looks interesting; I'll

have
to catch up on reading some old posts. I hope that someone here with the
experience will have time to answer my questions here. My house is just a
small bi-level; one floor takes up about 600 sq. ft. Reading the

agreement
papers with the roofing contractor has me worried about a few things.

1. Noise. Really, how noisy is it? Is it enough to want to be out of

the
house?

2. Be home or not to be home? I'm inclined to be home when they're
working, but is there any reason why I shouldn't be?

3. Vibrations; I have no real valuables in the house, but do I really

need
to be worried about taking pictures down?

4. Our "attic" area is unfinished, and we don't store anything up there.
There's just a sea of exposed insulation. Should I cover it before they
open up the roof? Or can roof debris just drop into the insulation and

stay
there forever?

If you have any other observations that you think a novice to getting a

roof
replaced should know, please tell me! I really appreciate anyone's

insight
on the matter.

Thanks,
DJ

Definitely be there- to supervise/control them and protect your property.
I'd take down heavy or valuable pictures- and anything breakable displayed
on shelves attached to the building.

My experience has been that roofers are at or near the bottom of
subcontractordom. The key is knowing when they're lying to you-- and here's
how you tell: watch their lips-- if they're moving, their most likely lying.

Joe

--
=============
"This is my keyboard. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

Carpenter Ant

"Joe Odom" wrote in message
"DJ" wrote in message
[...]

If you don't trust your sub-Contractor
I suggest you don't hire them!

I'd take down heavy or valuable pictures- and anything breakable displayed

Doubtful anything would fall
but take caution nevertheless.

My experience has been that roofers are at or near the bottom of
subcontractordom.

To bad you hired someone you didn't trust Joe.
You do get what you pay for.

The key is knowing when they're lying to you-- and here's
how you tell: watch their lips-- if they're moving, their most likely

lying.

Joe

Actually Joe
I believe .........you just described a salesman.
not a Roofing Contractor.

to the OP
cover your bushes & shrubs.
and where your ear plugs (if you stay in the house)
better yet
Take your wife to dinner (they love that).

C.A.

Larry Caldwell

(DJ) writes:

This is the first time I'm ever going to have my roof replaced. This is
also the first time posting to this newsgroup. Looks interesting; I'll have
to catch up on reading some old posts. I hope that someone here with the
experience will have time to answer my questions here. My house is just a
small bi-level; one floor takes up about 600 sq. ft. Reading the agreement
papers with the roofing contractor has me worried about a few things.

1. Noise. Really, how noisy is it? Is it enough to want to be out of the
house?

You will have half a dozen 200 lb. elves pounding on your roof with big
hammers. What you want to do about that is your business. Don't plan on
catching any afternoon naps. You probably will be able to talk on the
telephone.

2. Be home or not to be home? I'm inclined to be home when they're
working, but is there any reason why I shouldn't be?

Stick around. If you are there to let the workers into the house, they
will be less inclined to **** on the siding.

3. Vibrations; I have no real valuables in the house, but do I really need
to be worried about taking pictures down?

Not unless your picture hooks are exceptionally flimsy.

4. Our "attic" area is unfinished, and we don't store anything up there.
There's just a sea of exposed insulation. Should I cover it before they
open up the roof? Or can roof debris just drop into the insulation and stay
there forever?

Your are doing a tear-off, huh? Yes, you will get some debris on the
insulation. Don't worry about it. It will stay there forever. It's not
like you will be looking at it. While the roof is off is an excellent
time to blow more insulation in, if you want to upgrade. Instead of
building sheet metal dams to protect the eave vents, you can just blow
the insulation in and rake it back to restore the ventilation. Don't
blow insulation against chimneys or recessed lighting fixtures.

If you have any other observations that you think a novice to getting a roof
replaced should know, please tell me! I really appreciate anyone's insight
on the matter.

Remove any shrubs or flowers you want to save. A tear-off is tough on
the landscaping next to the house.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Barry Breedlove

"DJ" wrote in message
[...]

If you hired the type of riff raft like a couple of respondents did,
then hire full time security, and stay out of your home till they're
done.

Should you have chosen reputation over price, then you need not worry
about anything.

Reputable contractors hire professional roofers, they will cover any
bushes if they need covered. If the roof isn't steep, shouldn't be much
more than a handful of debris fall into bushes/shrubs. If it is steep
pitch, reputable roofers set jacks & boards along bottom edge to catch
debris, then toss onto tarp or straight into a dump truck. If you have
sheet goods for sheathing instead of 1"x material, only fine dust will
fall between the sheet goods.

If you chose price over reputation and quality, too bad. You could have
slept better, and Usenet will have one more horror story.

DJ

Thanks, everyone; the insight's useful. Funny ... my newsreader filtered
out the Joe-guy with the bad experience.

DJ