charlie karnes

Default Replacing copper gutter under slate

"Robert A. Barr" wrote:

Mike wrote:

I need to replace a copper gutter on my house that is secured to the
roof by an integral flange that runs under the first row of slate. I
don't want to disturb the slate if I can avoid it, and plan to support
the new gutter with fascia-mounted brackets. Would it be acceptable
to cut off the old gutter along its base at the rear so that the
flange beneath the slate plus the several inches of metal left from
the old gutter would remain to serve as flashing for the new gutter?

Mike

... and tuck the new gutter up underneath?

It's not only possible, it's about the only sensible approach. Around
here, it's a rather standard procedure called a "shear-off". I've done
this over my garage, and it worked out fine. I absolutely did not want to
mess with the slate.

don't blame you about the slate. wish i had that too.