Casey Stamper

Default Shower drain pan removal

"MLD" wrote in
:

When I put in my shower pan it went in just as being described:
Centered the pan around the drain, packed oakum (brown hemp like rope)
around it . Then got some lead wool, filling the space around the
drain over the oakum and tamping it down. When finished it look just
like it had been poured. BTW, lead wool is just pieces of loose lead.
MLD
"Jim Mc Namara" wrote in message
. com...

"Casey Stamper" wrote in message:
I actually kind of did that with the tip of a flattip screwdriver
and there is a small air gap between the lead and the inner piece
of the drain assy now but I didn't detect any separate movement
between the two elements when I pried up on the pan. I also didn't
see any oakum upon initial inspection. Do you think I have to start
digging further down

the
joint itself?

Chances are that if there is lead - there's oakum down there. Oakum
is

like
a braided rope - white in color and chalky. If they used jute - it
looks like hemp and was usually oil-soaked. Either way - it's packed
really

hard
since this is the actual seal. It should be there if you're into the
lead so tarry on a little bit more.

Jim

The general consensus so far is that I'm going to have to do some more
work on getting the lead/lead wool/oakum out of there to see exactly what
I'm up against. Thanks to all for the advice.

--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper

"The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
old Arabic saying