Jim Mc Namara

Default Shower drain pan removal

"Casey Stamper" wrote in message:
snipped
What am I missing? I don't see any screws or flanges
or anything obvious that might need to be loosened or removed before
separating the pan from the drain assembly.

Depending on the type of drain - the joint could possibly be a poured lead
joint. This would be where the drain pipe has had oakum packed in between
the pipe and the drain body and packed tight. The oakum is actually the
seal. The lead is poured over the oakum and "caulked" in place (caulked
being a term used to pound the lead evenly over the oakum - not the stuff
from a tube.) You can remove the lead with a torch if the drain pipe isn't
PVC - but it's a bit tricky if you've never done it before. I believe (if
this is your problem) that your best bet would be to get yourself a small
(1/4") cold chisel and be sure it has a decent bevel on it. Begin
chiselling at about a 45° angle on the lead - peeling it off. It won't be
an easy job - but it will save your having to replace the piping. Keep in
mind - this is *IF* it's a poured lead joint.

Let us know what you find out.

Jim

Casey Stamper

"Jim Mc Namara" wrote in
. com:

[...]

I actually kind of did that with the tip of a flattip screwdriver and
there is a small air gap between the lead and the inner piece of the
drain assy now but I didn't detect any separate movement between the two
elements when I pried up on the pan. I also didn't see any oakum upon
initial inspection. Do you think I have to start digging further down the
joint itself?

--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper

"The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
old Arabic saying
Jim Mc Namara

"Casey Stamper" wrote in message:
I actually kind of did that with the tip of a flattip screwdriver and
there is a small air gap between the lead and the inner piece of the
drain assy now but I didn't detect any separate movement between the two
elements when I pried up on the pan. I also didn't see any oakum upon
initial inspection. Do you think I have to start digging further down the
joint itself?

Chances are that if there is lead - there's oakum down there. Oakum is like
a braided rope - white in color and chalky. If they used jute - it looks
like hemp and was usually oil-soaked. Either way - it's packed really hard
since this is the actual seal. It should be there if you're into the lead
so tarry on a little bit more.

Jim

GrumpyFatGuy

[...]

If this is a poured lead joint, I was able to remove mine by first drilling some
holes in the lead, then prying out the lead and oakum.
Hope this helps,
Paul
MLD

When I put in my shower pan it went in just as being described: Centered
the pan around the drain, packed oakum (brown hemp like rope) around it .
Then got some lead wool, filling the space around the drain over the oakum
and tamping it down. When finished it look just like it had been poured.
BTW, lead wool is just pieces of loose lead.
MLD
"Jim Mc Namara" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Casey Stamper

"MLD" wrote in
:

[...]

The general consensus so far is that I'm going to have to do some more
work on getting the lead/lead wool/oakum out of there to see exactly what
I'm up against. Thanks to all for the advice.

--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper

"The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
old Arabic saying
Carl Van Camp

"GrumpyFatGuy" wrote in message actually the
seal. The lead is poured over the oakum If this is a poured lead joint, I
was able to remove mine by first drilling some
holes in the lead, then prying out the lead and oakum.
Hope this helps,
Paul

What he said. Mine was built exactly as described here--after drilling some
holes (a lot of holes, actually :-) ), I was able to pull everything out no
problem. Good luck.