MLD

Default Shower drain pan removal

When I put in my shower pan it went in just as being described: Centered
the pan around the drain, packed oakum (brown hemp like rope) around it .
Then got some lead wool, filling the space around the drain over the oakum
and tamping it down. When finished it look just like it had been poured.
BTW, lead wool is just pieces of loose lead.
MLD
"Jim Mc Namara" wrote in message
. com...

"Casey Stamper" wrote in message:
I actually kind of did that with the tip of a flattip screwdriver and
there is a small air gap between the lead and the inner piece of the
drain assy now but I didn't detect any separate movement between the two
elements when I pried up on the pan. I also didn't see any oakum upon
initial inspection. Do you think I have to start digging further down

the
joint itself?

Chances are that if there is lead - there's oakum down there. Oakum is

like
a braided rope - white in color and chalky. If they used jute - it looks
like hemp and was usually oil-soaked. Either way - it's packed really

hard
since this is the actual seal. It should be there if you're into the lead
so tarry on a little bit more.

Jim