GrumpyFatGuy

Default Shower drain pan removal

Casey Stamper wrote in message ...
"Jim Mc Namara" wrote in
. com:

"Casey Stamper" wrote in message:
snipped
What am I missing? I don't see any screws or flanges
or anything obvious that might need to be loosened or removed before
separating the pan from the drain assembly.

Depending on the type of drain - the joint could possibly be a poured
lead joint. This would be where the drain pipe has had oakum packed
in between the pipe and the drain body and packed tight. The oakum is
actually the seal. The lead is poured over the oakum and "caulked" in
place (caulked being a term used to pound the lead evenly over the
oakum - not the stuff from a tube.) You can remove the lead with a
torch if the drain pipe isn't PVC - but it's a bit tricky if you've
never done it before. I believe (if this is your problem) that your
best bet would be to get yourself a small (1/4") cold chisel and be
sure it has a decent bevel on it. Begin chiselling at about a 45°
angle on the lead - peeling it off. It won't be an easy job - but it
will save your having to replace the piping. Keep in mind - this is
*IF* it's a poured lead joint.

Let us know what you find out.

Jim

I actually kind of did that with the tip of a flattip screwdriver and
there is a small air gap between the lead and the inner piece of the
drain assy now but I didn't detect any separate movement between the two
elements when I pried up on the pan. I also didn't see any oakum upon
initial inspection. Do you think I have to start digging further down the
joint itself?

If this is a poured lead joint, I was able to remove mine by first drilling some
holes in the lead, then prying out the lead and oakum.
Hope this helps,
Paul