Jim Mc Namara

Default Shower drain pan removal

"Casey Stamper" wrote in message:
I actually kind of did that with the tip of a flattip screwdriver and
there is a small air gap between the lead and the inner piece of the
drain assy now but I didn't detect any separate movement between the two
elements when I pried up on the pan. I also didn't see any oakum upon
initial inspection. Do you think I have to start digging further down the
joint itself?

Chances are that if there is lead - there's oakum down there. Oakum is like
a braided rope - white in color and chalky. If they used jute - it looks
like hemp and was usually oil-soaked. Either way - it's packed really hard
since this is the actual seal. It should be there if you're into the lead
so tarry on a little bit more.

Jim