Chris Ward

Default Spammed by Screwfix?

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:49:27 +0000, Richard wrote:

I too have bought from screwfix, I too have always opted out of all
e-mail offers. I do not need to know about all their special offers,
or indeed any of their special offers. I like to buy things to my
timescales, not to theirs. I too have started to get spam from screw
fix. I too have re -opted out and am still getting the e-mails. To me
this is spam.

It might also illegal. About the one thing that the Data Protection Act does
actually forbid is the use of personal data for Direct Marketing when you
have informed the company concerned not to use the data for that purpose.

11. - (1) An individual is entitled at any time by notice in writing to a
data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period
as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin,
processing for the purposes of direct marketing personal data in respect
of which he is the data subject.

(3) In this section "direct marketing" means the communication
(by whatever means) of any advertising or marketing material which is
directed to particular individuals.

The crucial question is what "such period as is reasonable in the
circumstances" might mean. And you can't pick and choose about the type
of direct marketing it would seem. If you're happy to receive catalogues
from them then you're accepting that they can use the data for direct
marketing.

Chris Ward.