Default shower pan question

"Paul Orwell" wrote in message

To repair a tiled-in shower basin, the tile and substrate has to be
removed at the floor, curb, and walls to approx. 12". Then a new
membrane installed, refloated with mortar and tile installed. All
without breaching the new liner/membrane. Not a task for a beginner.
Nor for many who consider themselves pros these days. Beware of any who
can't use mortar substrates and rely upon backerboards.

I'm not tempted to try and do the tile work myself. How much of a problem
do you think I will have matching tile that was installed 23 yrs ago? What
are your thoughts on just tearing the tile out and replacing with shower
panel board or a fiberglass enclosure?

thanks for the feedback,
Tony