John D

Default Can I span 17' 4" with 2x6's, 16 oc, ceiling w/drywall, insulation, no attic storage?

"'nuther Bob " wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:24:21 GMT, (Renata)
wrote:

Creative answer!
But, I wonder if that's legal, especially since, if not done right,
the ceiling will fall.

Renata

Crack maybe, not fall as long as it meets code. As long as the drywall
is properly attached, nothing can fall unless the beams drop.

But, FWIW, don't do it even if it meets code. You have to do all
the 2x "truss" work to make it stable enough to not crack. That
takes a lot of time. It also makes the "attic" space nearly unusable
and inaccessible, even for running HVAC and wiring. Spend a couple
of bucks more and at least put 2x8's in.

Also, ask the building inspector. If he doesn't like it, it doesn't
matter what anyone here thinks.

Bob

It's an existing house about 7 yrs old. Whats there is whats there. Ain't

gonna be any new ducts or storage. If I do it myself the inspector ain't
gonna see it, but I must be comfortable that it's structuraly sound.
John

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:50:28 -0400, "Carpenter Ant"
wrote:

"John D" wrote in message
Can I span 17' 4" with 2x6's, 16 oc, ceiling w/drywall, insulation, no
attic

--snip--

yes as long as you nail (not screws) 2x4's from the ceiling joist to the
rafters creating a truss.

otherwise that would require 2x10 ceiling joists for a 17' 4" span 16"

on
center.