Chuck

Default Can I span 17' 4" with 2x6's, 16 oc, ceiling w/drywall, insulation, no attic storage?

Nails are much stronger with regards to shear strength. Screws resist
pulling out, but are much more brittle and easy to snap.

"EJ" wrote in message
"Carpenter Ant" wrote in message

"John D" wrote in message
Can I span 17' 4" with 2x6's, 16 oc, ceiling w/drywall, insulation, no

attic
storage? I wanna remove a wall that is within this span. It looks like

2
or
3 joists(?) already span this distance in line with the doorway.
____________
| |j |
| |o |
|_____|i__ _|
| |s |
| |t |

yes as long as you nail (not screws) 2x4's from the ceiling joist to the
rafters creating a truss.

otherwise that would require 2x10 ceiling joists for a 17' 4" span 16"

on
center.

Why nail? Just curious.

EJ