jim

Default Why solder will not melt?

ississauga wrote:

I am using a propane torch to melt a recently made solder joint
holding together half inch copper plumbing pipes, but the solder won't
melt no matter how long I heat it for. I leaked out the water and
heated once till copper pipe turned red. Is there another way to melt
the solder ?

the solder was melting, but when you applied the heat you probably had
the heat directed to the male section of pipe(the part that goes into
the female fitting??), when it got hot it expaned and you cold not budge
it.. the solder was not holding it on, it was the expansion that was
holding it on.... try cutting it off and then putting new fittings in
there.. not too many people reuse old fittings, they are pretty cheap...