Jeff Wisnia

Default Why solder will not melt?

ississauga wrote:

I am using a propane torch to melt a recently made solder joint
holding together half inch copper plumbing pipes, but the solder won't
melt no matter how long I heat it for. I leaked out the water and
heated once till copper pipe turned red. Is there another way to melt
the solder ?

Chances are the solder *is* melting, but the pipe/fitting is siezed
together because of a *very* close fit when they were made up. This can be
very annoying, as I'm sure you've found out by yourself.

On occasion I've had to cut the pipe a couple of inches from the fitting
so that I could crush an twist the stub with a pair of vise-grips to work
it out of the fitting with the joint hot. I've alway been able to get them
apart this way; Sometimes there's a screetching noise while the two pieces
are turning against each other.

You can always use a solder "slip coupling" to put a few inches of pipe
back when you're making up the joint again.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"I before E except after C"....(The height of insufficient weird ancient
science...)

John

The only reason it would not melt is if there is still water (even a small
amount) in the pipe. If this is not the case, then the solder is melted and you
just need a tap with a hammer or twist (while hot) to open the joint. You may
not have properly deburred the pipe when you made the joint and the burr is
jammed in?

If all else fails, cut the pipe again and add a short piece with a coupling...

John

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I am using a propane torch to melt a recently made solder joint
holding together half inch copper plumbing pipes, but the solder won't
melt no matter how long I heat it for. I leaked out the water and
heated once till copper pipe turned red. Is there another way to melt
the solder ?

jim

ississauga wrote:

I am using a propane torch to melt a recently made solder joint
holding together half inch copper plumbing pipes, but the solder won't
melt no matter how long I heat it for. I leaked out the water and
heated once till copper pipe turned red. Is there another way to melt
the solder ?

the solder was melting, but when you applied the heat you probably had
the heat directed to the male section of pipe(the part that goes into
the female fitting??), when it got hot it expaned and you cold not budge
it.. the solder was not holding it on, it was the expansion that was
holding it on.... try cutting it off and then putting new fittings in
there.. not too many people reuse old fittings, they are pretty cheap...
David Hare-Scott

(ississauga) wrote:

I am using a propane torch to melt a recently made solder joint
holding together half inch copper plumbing pipes, but the solder won't
melt no matter how long I heat it for. I leaked out the water and
heated once till copper pipe turned red. Is there another way to melt
the solder ?

"David Meiland" wrote in message
(ississauga) wrote:

Doesn't sound right to me. If the pipe was red hot, the solder was
definitely liquid, or possibly you still had water in there. Now,
getting a joint apart can be difficult. You need a thick pair of
gloves, a wet rag, and maybe a pair of pliers.

....snip...

If using a rag use a dry one. If you grab a really hot pipe with a wet
rag the water turns to steam and there is a great chance the steam will
blast through and around the cloth and burn your hand. Use a dry rag
and it maintains its insulating properties, it may scorch of course, so
don't use your best shirt. Also a wet rag tends to cool the work which
you don't want. If you still had water in a red-hot pipe you would hear
of hissing and popping and steam would come out the end.

The deal here is to fasten one end of the assemply in a vise or clamp if
it isn't already fixed and as you heat up the joint twist the free end
with a gripping tool (wrench, spanner, multi-grips, pliers whatever you
have). You will feel it start to give when the solder softens, which is
long before red heat, then pull the joint apart. If the joint is very
tight you may have to keep twisting back and forth as you work the free
end off.

David

Mark S. Stiegel

I had the same problem with a copper soldered joint a year ago.....baffled
me for a while....I heated that dang joint until it was red as could
be....but it wouldn't budge. Then I realized that the joint was NOT
soldered with conventional solder, it was silver soldered....which meant
that I would have needed to get out the acetylene torch to loosen the joint.
I ended up cutting the joint and then going from there.

Apparently, some builders silver solder because it's quicker...but makes it
a pain in the behind for homeowners.

Good luck

--
Mark
"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I am using a propane torch to melt a recently made solder joint
holding together half inch copper plumbing pipes, but the solder won't
melt no matter how long I heat it for. I leaked out the water and
heated once till copper pipe turned red. Is there another way to melt
the solder ?

EJ

"Mark S. Stiegel" wrote in message
[...]

A MAPP gas burner (also a HD item) should melt the silver solder. Also, it
will melt a regular solder faster and may melt it even of there is a tiny
water leak from the shutoff valve.

BTW, a MAPP-oxygen torch (from, where else, HD) will burn the copper pipe
off .

EJ

Michael H. Pittsley

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I am using a propane torch to melt a recently made solder joint
holding together half inch copper plumbing pipes, but the solder won't
melt no matter how long I heat it for. I leaked out the water and
heated once till copper pipe turned red. Is there another way to melt
the solder ?

It sounds to me that the joint was brazed, not soldered. By definition,
brazing is done at higher temperatures than a common propane torch can
achieve.

Bob Morrison

In article Michael H.
Pittsley says...
I am using a propane torch to melt a recently made solder joint
holding together half inch copper plumbing pipes, but the solder won't
melt no matter how long I heat it for. I leaked out the water and
heated once till copper pipe turned red. Is there another way to melt
the solder ?

I assume you cleaned the joints real well and used flux to clean the
joints of oxidation. This is not rocket science. If you are using the
proper cleaning techniques and the proper solder, this should be easy
with a standard propane torch -- I've done it dozens of times.

--
Bob Morrison
R.L. Morrison Engineering Co.

Mark & Shauna

Yes, lead free (95/5) on ALL joints in the potable water system. This
means everything, toilets, washing machines, etc.. Like I said, you can
still use 50/50 on forced hot water systems and such that are protected
from the potable water system by a backflow preventer.
To this day I still personally use 50/50 on heating systems as I feel
it is a little less brittle (very very fussy issue here) and feel that
it will handle the higher heats of a hydronic heating system (200
degrees on some older systemes) better. That said, I know plumbers who
prefer to buy one solder and use 95/5 exclusively and have been doing so
for many years now with no issues whatsoever.
The less brittle issue comes from working in industrial applications
where we used to solder 4 and 6 inch copper lines with 50/50 and then
cap them (the last bit of the joint was filled) with 95/5 for some
rigidity to hold the 50/50 in as there was so much surface area on the
joint... its just an old hold over and I am not at all worried that I
will accidentally solder a potable joint with 50/50 having both in the
tool box.

Mark

Terry wrote:
Mark & Shauna wrote:

As one post said, Lead free solder is now required. This does NOT mean
silver solder. A house would cost a FORTUNE to plumb with silver solder.
There was almost a rebelion in making the switch to 95/5 from 50/50
because it was a couple bucks higher per pound much less paying for
silver solder. 95/5 (tin and antimony) does however melt a little hotter
than 50/50 and can make a wet joint even harder. 50/50 however is still
fine on any non-potable water lines (heating systems/etc).

So any copper line which may be used for potable water requires
the newer solder?
I guess 'potable' would include kitchen cold and hot taps,
therefore all joints in the hot water system, bathroom cold taps,
for tooth brushing etc. Icemaker connections, dishwashers etc.?
In other words anything with water you put in your mouth?
Thanks for any comments. Terry.

DaveG

Either there is still some water in the pipe - or more likely it's
Silver Solder or Lead Free Solder, both of which are nearly impossible
to melt with Propane. Buy or rent an acetylene torch, which are far
hotter, and the pipe will come apart very quickly.

Interesting. I've never had a problem sweating copper using a propane torch
and lead free solder, the soft stuff anyway. Another alternative to propane
may be MAPP gas? The plumbers who worked in our house used that, must be
some reason, probably heats faster, thus saving time?.
Looks like it's a bit more expensive than propane, but less costly thatn
acetylene.

Dave

Matthew S. Whiting

Mark & Shauna wrote:
Yes, lead free (95/5) on ALL joints in the potable water system.
This means everything, toilets, washing machines, etc.. Like I said, you
can still use 50/50 on forced hot water systems and such that are
protected from the potable water system by a backflow preventer.

We don't drink out of the toilets in my house. :-)

Matt

Jim Yanik

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in
:

We don't drink out of the toilets in my house. :-)

Matt

Are your toilets on a separate water line than your faucets? I doubt it.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me
Mark & Shauna

Matthew S. Whiting wrote:
Mark & Shauna wrote:

Yes, lead free (95/5) on ALL joints in the potable water system.
This means everything, toilets, washing machines, etc.. Like I said,
you can still use 50/50 on forced hot water systems and such that are
protected from the potable water system by a backflow preventer.

We don't drink out of the toilets in my house. :-)

Matt

Yep, I am with ya on that one. But the bureaucrats say what they say. I
suppose if you wanted to put a Watts9D on your toilet, DW, WM, etc. you
could fight them to allow you to solder another few joints with 50/50.
Come to think of it, I wonder how long it will be before they will make
us implement some sort of extra safety measures on these appliances even
though they already have one. After all, you have to install vac.
breakers on your silcocks in the event that you fill your child's kiddie
pool, he/she pee's in the pool, you leave the hose in the pool, there is
a 50 alarm fire on your street at the _exact time_ you happen to be
adding water to the pee tainted pool, the fire department drains all the
water out of the mains (and more) siphoning contents of said pool back
into your house, and you subsequently make a pot of pee flavored iced
tea next time you run the tap.
The same thing could happen with a DW/WM.

Oh well,...

Mark

mark Ransley

mark Rainsley

Why? for What? Now who in the hell are you talking at, you stupid
****? Will you ever use any usenet accepted protocol, or will you
always be just a webtv **** stain?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 26, 2003 at 9:31:24 AM UTC-5, mark Rainsley wrote:
Why? for What? Now who in the hell are you talking at, you stupid
****? Will you ever use any usenet accepted protocol, or will you
always be just a webtv **** stain?

Somebody is really having a bad day - hope it gets better

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:39:16 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

On Thursday, June 26, 2003 at 9:31:24 AM UTC-5, mark Rainsley wrote:
Why? for What? Now who in the hell are you talking at, you stupid
****? Will you ever use any usenet accepted protocol, or will you
always be just a webtv **** stain?

Somebody is really having a bad day - hope it gets better

Notice the date there scotty

I doubt it.