half_pint

Default TV tube, hissing, fizzling crackling noise, arcing.

"b" wrote in message
m...
"half_pint" wrote in message

)
Mind you, I can only put it on standby, unless I unplug it and
lose all the stations. The on-off switch on the main set doesnt
appear to work! (nasty combination eh?). I think standby
switches off the HT though so I should be ok.

This is another inexpensive fix. replace backup battery on main board
which enables settings to be stored.

I don't think it has a battery, but it may keep the settings for a while,
I forget.

As for the dodgy remote, keep
your original (slightly faulty) in a safe place for occasional (but
impoortant) things like, say, the menu and tuning, but for day to day
use (changing vol, channels etc) use a cheapo universal one (round
here you can get them for about 5 euros!).

Sounds like a good idea if i can find one compatible (which i shjould)
will also be handy when I lose the other remote.

As regards the HT crackling, take the advice that has been given you
and don't use the set

What no TV - not a chance!!!
I just hope it goes when the shops are open so I can get that
cheap portable I had my eye on!

until it has been done properly. Simple as that!