Sam Goldwasser

Default TV tube, hissing, fizzling crackling noise, arcing.

"half_pint" writes:

"James Sweet" wrote in message

There is like a big round 'sucker' (plunger shaped thing)
where it atttaches to the tube, this has a lot of (well a fair bit

of)
black 'dust' on. I can see some blue 'arcing' on the 'sucker type'
thing which the cable is attached too. this is where the niose comes
from.

That's fairly common, you need to remove the anode cap

How do I do that? Just pull it off?
Is it rubber or metal, I thought it was metal, maybe it
is rubber, (rubber sounds more sensible.

It's rubber,

So it *should* be safe to touch???????

In principle the rubber cap should be safe to touch but as you have
observed, with all the dust, there is high voltage on it!

The 'light show' is on the outside of this rubber cap (iits all covered
in black dust though).

That should not be there.

I am a little puzzeled, if the tube is earthed, and the outside of the
cap is high tension.........if the two meet.....boom..(or zap).
Is this the final arc zap mentioned earlier in the thread?

Yes.

And why is the outside of the cap high tension, is it because of the
black stuff or is the cap perished?

Because it is contaminated underneath as well.

I think I assumed (wrongly) the outside of the cap was ment to be HT.

Nope.

I am a little more worried now.

No need to be worried, but you should do as has been suggested here
and not use the TV until then.

If you have any doubts about your ability to do it, then have a repair
shop clean it. Shouldn't be expensive now. Only if you wait for the
final ZAP!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.