half_pint

Default TV tube, hissing, fizzling crackling noise, arcing.

I second that. Just wanted to add that the blue arcs produce ozone,
which is a molecular form of oxygen containing 3 atoms instead of the
usual 2. The extra oxygen atom causes the molecule to be unstable and
the ozone gas very reactive. Ozone is thus extremely corrosive, and
damaging to organic things, i.e. plastic insulation. When inhaled
ozone is extrememly damaging to the lungs by directly attacking the
thin lining of the tiny sacs where air is exchanged with the blood.
Ozone is associated with the electric smell that is sometimes noticed
when a thunderstorm comes or in electrical sparking. In summary,
operating a defective TV which generates ozone into the atmosphere of
an enclosed room is not a very wise decision.

Well that may be a more compelling reason to get it fixed, or
dump it and get a new one. I doubt it is cost effective to have
someone repair it.
I would probably have replacedit were it not for the fact that
the shops I visited contained almost exclusively widescreen
sets (Which I detest). Maybe I will go for a large second
hand standard 'proper' TV.
Actually though something does appear to have affected the
inside of the plastic back casing of the TV making it sticky
particularly around the area near the anode cap. I presume
this has been caused by ozone.
I took the back off to let more air get in, I think maybe I should
put it back on tho keep the ozone in.
Anyway humidity is 82% at the moment and the tude is fizzling
away quite merrily.(sounds like there is a wasp in there!!).
Also as I smoke 20 a day maybe all that tar will protect my
lungs from the ozone? Smoking may also have something to
do with the black sticky stuff on the plastic, or it may be
plastic attacked by ozone. I wouldn't say I can particularly
smell ozone in the room, certaintly not as much as during
a thundersorm anyway but it is more of a concern than my
TV packing up anyway.

However I will have a go at cleaming the cap up a bit when
I am feeking braver, apparently the voltages are less dangerous
than they sound but I will not be taking any chances.
Apparently a bit of insulating tape might come in handy.
Beats me why these caps are metal anyway, I assume they are,
it would seem to be more sennsible to make them plactic coated.

Also is the back of the tube glass or metalic? I assume it is
glass but I and not 100%

Actually the noise has been a bit louder, and I checked
the humidity, its up to 88%.

Actually the noise was beginning to annoy me so I through
caution to the wind and stuck a couple layers of
sticky insulating tape over the offending area, result:- silence.
Or near silence anyway, I will do a proper clean up on it
tomorrow.

Well that has saved me £50 for the time being anyway,
humidity still 88%.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... You mean 15" sparks are SUPPOSED to come out of this thing?!?