Sam Goldwasser

Default TV tube, hissing, fizzling crackling noise, arcing.

"half_pint" writes:

Thanks for that.
As I am basically a cautious coward I don't intend going near
it with except with a long plastic or wooden handeled impliment.

The TV cost about £200 when I bought it well over 5 year ago
so I doubt calling out a TV tech would be cost effective.

However having said that my father brought in a similar aged
but more expensive TV in for repair, the picture was bigger
than the screen so to speak, and wider at the top and bottom.
It was clearly more noticable when you used teletext but
on a normal broadcast you would hardly notice it unless
there was important info (text etc..) at the corners of the screen.
Actually these pseudo widescreen broadcasts probably looked
aweful on it (well more aweful than usual (widescreen is my
pet hate)). By aweful I mean **** (in the US doesn't aweful mean
good?). Actually it was probably the WS broadcasts which
caused him to get it repaired.
Anyway the repair man did a great job for £50 and the pic is
perfect now, as good as new.

The problem only occurs on very humid days so I can live with
it, as that is only a handful of days a year.

The problem with ignoring it is that there may come a final arc-snap
and then the set will be dead. I would recommend cleaning at least.

See the FAQs for SAFETY info.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.