Tony Bryer

Default Spammed by Screwfix?

In article , Huge wrote:
The problem is not with bona fide companies
whose emails display genuine contact details.

Rubbish. Spam is spam.

No, the difference is that if Screwfix (or other reputable
company) send me an email they send *me* *one*, and then
probably once a month at most. The spameisters blast them out
to valid and invalid addresses alike: generally three or four
identical ones end up on my machine and they are only the ones
I actually see. I did have my mail configured to bounce all
invalid @sda.co.uk mails (mainly to put customers who had
entered a typo like on notice that they had
done something wrong) but my ISP asked me to change this as the
bounces were overloading their mail server - probably because
having a three letter domain (all three letter combinations are
valid AIUI) people go for dictionary attacks. Now of course
because they are blackholed rather than bounced the senders
will assume they are valid addresses. I have no idea how much
traffic is generated this way but this is the problem, not the
likes of Screwfix.

And perhaps I am "a drooling retard" but my own guess is that
anti-spam laws are likely to be as effective against the people
who mass mail this stuff as speed cameras are against really
dangerous drivers and Part P will be against the real cowboy
electricians.

--
Tony Bryer SDA UK 'Software to build on'
http://www.sda.co.uk