James Sweet

Default tv repair plan

"RB" wrote in message
Got a 27" TV, several years old, that the vertical seems to have gone bad
in. All I have is a thin, bright, horizontal line approx mid-screen.

I'm thinking of opening it up, pulling the vertical board, and replacing

it.

Should that work?

There's unlikely to be a "vertical board" and even if there is and you pull
it out, chances are a replacement is not available.

The good news is that loss of vertical deflection is an easy fix relatively
speaking, and a good one for the beginner interested in TV repair to attempt
to tackle. It could be as simple as a cracked solder connection at the
vertical output chip, worst case the chip is fried, likely taking out a
fusible resistor supplying power to it. Should be able to fix it for under
20 bucks if you have a soldering iron, rosin core solder, and a multimeter,
which is also inexpensive these days. 95% of it is just knowing what to look
for.