Jason D.

Default tv repair plan

On 18 Jul 2004 20:25:58 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
wrote:

But RCA and GE is one and same
and much better than rest of this junky things on that list but why
RCA (thomson) is NO good?

Some chassis made by Thomson are okay, but there were a few, especially those
with the infamous horizontal tuner module, that were, IMO, junk.

That is long ago now, production stopped on these onboard tuners
(CTC17x and CTC186, 7 and 9) around '98 and CTC203 took over this and
CTC203 in 1999 had onboard tuner but it had redesigned grounds, after
1999, went to vertical position tuner. Not a problem actually.
CTC203 with onboard tuner is rare and they still work.

There are
also a few surface mount parts in various Thomson chassis in critical sections
which make servicing more difficult.

Which chassis? 195 and 197 are no longer made now.

Plus, while Thomson does make very good picture tubes, it's a pain to have to
replace an entire tube if the deflection yoke ever goes bad since the yoke is
bonded to the tube. What makes it worse is that Thomson tubes are used in a
lot of different brands, including JVC and Hitachi. Fortunately, the yoke is
an item that rarely fails.

So far 2 years at my shop, only one RCA bonded yoke failed and that
was in Samsung.

I still stand by my opinion and I frequent a TV/Stereo store where the
salespeople always refer to RCA products as "Return Comin' At'cha," a
generalization that applies to any Thomson product.

That's hurts. We liked them because of info and we do them and
actually made money and speedy service and made customers happy as
well. JVC is fine but very little in way of training stuff, same with
Samsung, I found many Samsung's undocumented items that techs should
know about.

And, in an unusual manufacturing defect in a Thomson set. A customer brought
in an RCA TV to a repair shop that made a loud POP and would not turn on
anymore. Turns out the failure was caused by a stray resistor left in the
horizontal drive section that eventually managed to work its way in creating a
short in the high voltage parts.

Another Thomson defect that was returned to the store I go to: An RCA TV
stopped working and an unusual smell started coming from inside the enclosure.
Turns out someone left a rather large piece of food inside the TV which managed
to short something out and get cooked in the process. - Reinhart

Unusual and shouldn't be counted as normal problems.
That's two things I didn't see yet but this should be repaired,
Thomson will not let them to exchange them to thomson's unless it is
very serious. Only time a store had to exchange a projector equipped
with DTV at their expense was a supplier could not source a DTV power
supply we ordered (yes it have a part number!) which is unusual.

Failures is unlike any other stuff like JVC, etc and Thomson stuff is
actually good than the junkies.

Cheers,

Wizard