LASERandDVDfan

Default tv repair plan

But RCA and GE is one and same
and much better than rest of this junky things on that list but why
RCA (thomson) is NO good?

Some chassis made by Thomson are okay, but there were a few, especially those
with the infamous horizontal tuner module, that were, IMO, junk. There are
also a few surface mount parts in various Thomson chassis in critical sections
which make servicing more difficult.

Plus, while Thomson does make very good picture tubes, it's a pain to have to
replace an entire tube if the deflection yoke ever goes bad since the yoke is
bonded to the tube. What makes it worse is that Thomson tubes are used in a
lot of different brands, including JVC and Hitachi. Fortunately, the yoke is
an item that rarely fails.

I still stand by my opinion and I frequent a TV/Stereo store where the
salespeople always refer to RCA products as "Return Comin' At'cha," a
generalization that applies to any Thomson product.

And, in an unusual manufacturing defect in a Thomson set. A customer brought
in an RCA TV to a repair shop that made a loud POP and would not turn on
anymore. Turns out the failure was caused by a stray resistor left in the
horizontal drive section that eventually managed to work its way in creating a
short in the high voltage parts.

Another Thomson defect that was returned to the store I go to: An RCA TV
stopped working and an unusual smell started coming from inside the enclosure.
Turns out someone left a rather large piece of food inside the TV which managed
to short something out and get cooked in the process. - Reinhart