gaz

Default Very slow draining of bath, how to cure?

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

wrote in message
snip
The only thing that immediately occurs is to use a larger bore of pipe for
as much of the run as possible.
i.e. have large bore pipe from the sink and/or bath right up to the 40mm
socket in the trunking.
I think that this would ease the flow of the water by reducing the
resistance along most of the pipe; having said that I don't think modern
baths drain well at all.
ISTR that baths in old houses (and old hotels) used to drain much faster.
I have guessed that this is due to larger bore lead waste pipes in old
installations.

Other option is to raise the bath with a step next to it to make getting

in
and out easy (opposite of a sunken bath).
This would give you a better head of water/drop over the length of the

pipe
run.
You could also raise the basin by putting it on a raised base - but this
might look wierd :-)
Think of it as a part raised floor in the bathroom.

Combine the two - have a large bore pipe under the raised bath.

Our main bath drains slowly, and the waste just runs the length of the

bath
(taps away from the outside wall) so I think you will be lucky to get
reasonably fast draining with anything but the shortest run.

Having a rambling day today :-)

Dave R

I had a similar problem after changing my bath. After looking at the 'plug
hole' I noticed that the old one had a sort of cast grid while the new one
was just drilled holes. By the time I noticed this I had already thrown the
old one out, and could not find the same type in my local suppliers. I
eased it slightly by cleaning up the holes and putting a sort of
'countersink' on them but it is still not as good as the old one.

While on the subject, my new toilet does not flush a s well as the old one
either.
And if I turn the taps on too quickly on the hand basin the water streams
out of the other side. I have decided that the older ones looked so
functional because they were. The newer ones look pretty because they are
not so functional.