BillR

Default Is Grundfos ups 15-50 man enough for 15 year old 4 bed detached 8mm Microbore CH system

Moonshine wrote:
It's that time of year when one's thoughts turn to the smoothe
running of ones CH system (sad isn't it!)

Before I go into all the details I'd just like to get some expert
opinion on the suitability of the the UPS 15-50 in my system.

The pump has been running for years on the medium setting, but I've
always been concious that the system didn't seem to be running right.

The radiators were not piping hot to the touch, the house didn't feel
warm all over, and the boiler does a lot of 1-2 minute cycling.

Turning to this group again over the last week or so for some tips,
I've treated myself to an IR themometer to do some proper
investigation.

As I say at the moment I won't go into all the figures, but the info
seemed to sugest that the pump needed to be on maximum. I've been
running it like that for a few days and things do seem to have
improved regards balance of heat even running all the LSV's open
until I'm sure what the state of play is.

My main concernes at the moment are I never see anywhere near 80
degrees C at the input to the radiators, the boilier is cutting out
when the ouput has reached this temp. The max input to closesest rad
to pump is around 70 and the lowest is around 65. And the Boiler is
still short cycling.

So before I try and rectify anything balancing like crazy I want to
know if the UPS 15-50 is powerful enough or not.

I don't know this pump, what head rating is it?
I had similar situation for many years inc boiler kettling at times.
When I changed the pump for the second time I went for a beefer pump with a
6m head.
It runs a lot quieter on its medium setting and the system works much better
too.