William R. Walsh

Default PSU Fan Direction

Hi!

Large power supply does not increase computer performance.
That is classic urban myth. Either computer gets sufficient
power to execute the instruction at same speed - or computer
crashes. The PSU is not a motor. A bigger PSU does not make
the computer work faster.

Perhaps not. For the basic concept of a bigger PSU not making the computer
work any faster I agree with you. Obviously it cannot do so. However, for a
system starved for power, a crash may not be the immediate result. The CPU
may operate with reduced efficiency and/or speed if the power supply is
insufficient as a protection measure.

Therefore the addition of a bigger PSU that can handle the load better than
the original can create the illusion of the PSU somehow making for a faster
computer.

Same applies to CPU heat. Again, either CPU runs as crystal
oscillator speed or it crashes. Cooling does not make a CPU
run faster.

Definitely not always. Some systems (especially laptops) are able to
downclock so as to protect themselves from heat damage. Even some "smarter"
desktop motherboards can monitor their temperature and fan RPMs so as to
shutdown or downclock in the event of a thermal problem.

As for the statement about cooling not making a CPU run faster, ask any
overclocker about that. The more you cool the chip, the harder you can push
it, up until a point of failure occurs or reliable operation can no longer
be acheived.
:-)

William

Caroline wrote:
"Ricky Eck" wrote
Well, that "Could" increase performance. I would say that
putting a power supply two times the amount then you had was
the true increase of performance. However, the freezing up
problem can be caused by MANY things.

Yup.

snip
Furthermore, the cooler you can get that Processor, the better
it will run.

To use basic language: I assure you a definite upper limit to the
CPU's speed exists, and once this limit is reached, cooling
further will have no effect.