Caroline

Default PSU Fan Direction

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote
C wrote
snip
I did a modem noise check of my phone lines (in my new home) several months
ago.
It was somewhat high but then things settled down and I wasn't getting
disconnected. Now the problem has returned.

Call the phone company and have them correct the problem. They may perform a
test and say that it's okay, but tell them that this is for a computer modem
and while the line may be suitable for regular conversation, it is apparently
too noisy and, therefore, unacceptable for use with a modem.

You're paying for their services, so make them deliver you that service in the
best way possible.

Hmm. I am not optimistic they can do anything or should do anything unless I pay
them bucks$$. ;-)

But I'll consider ringing them.

What I probably should do to troubleshoot further is graph disconnects per
day
vs. weather trends. Also, maybe I'll try the internal modem.

If the problem is with the phone line, switching to an internal modem won't
help.

Sorry. I meant this would be an experiement that would assist my
troubleshooting. If for some reason the internal modem had no more nor no less
disconnects than the external modem, then I might be able to rule out phone line
problems. Or at least this easy experiment might give me a bit more insight into
the problem. :-)

As I've said before, I think it's unrealistic to nail down a diagnosis on
something as vague as this using an online forum where people can't actually
play with my very own computer. I am trying to keep my threads very focused.
E.g. see the subject lines of the two threads here. If my efforts seem way off,
I'm sure someone will tell me. Also, obviously the learning curve at my end is
steep, due to my other experience in technology.

I am set for now. Thanks again.