Ricky Eck

Default PSU Fan Direction

I am still getting
some spontaneous Internet disconnects but am now suspecting the phone

lines and
weather variations in my area.

I forgot to answer this. I wouldn't suspect anything to so with the
computer it's self. See the way how a modem works (I am going to use basic
language here), is a complex language that can be described as different
tones of noise. But there is a method to it's madness. What sounds like
static and noise to us, is really a complex language between the two modems.
If there is any type of interruption between this communication, it could
cause your internet connection to be lost. One big thing, especially on the
older modems, is call waiting. That "Beep" will interrupt the communication
between the two modems. The newer modems comes with a program (sometimes
built into the modem it's self), that can tell the "Beep" of call waiting.
However, the older ones can not tell the difference, therefore gets
confused, and disconnects. Other problems, can be cause by poor wiring in
the phone lines. If you hear static on your line when you talk to someone,
the modem will also. This will cause the modem to get confused, and hang
up. Make sure you have "Error Correction" enabled on the modem. This will,
sometimes, correct the problem.

There is also two different modems on the market. There is the "SoftModem"
a.k.a. "WinModem" That is software drive. This is a modem that you install
all it's software on the Hard Drive. These can be slow, and unreliable.
Mainly because it has to take time to read the programming off the hard
drive. Basically, by the time the modem reads the info off the Hard Drive,
it gives up and hangs up (Especially if you have a slow Hard Drive.) Then
there is a Hard Modem. They are the most reliable. These modems have the
software programmed in on the chip of the Modem it's self. Therefore
reducing the amount of time it takes to read the programming. The only
downfall of these, is software upgrades.

Ever since I used a Hard Modem, I never went back to a WinModem. Hard
modems are more expensive then a WinModem. But well worth it. However,
before you start to replace all this hardware, check in with the phone lines
and company, to see if you have any static or old wiring in your home. Or
even it the "Trunk" to your home is old. 99.9% of connection problems are
bad/old wiring in homes, and just need to be replace. One Apartment I had,
when I used Dial-up, would be filled with static when it rained. The water
would get into the phone lines, and would make the phone terrible for about
3 days.

Hope this helps,
Rick