Caroline

Default PSU Fan Direction

Thanks, Ricky and Vidar.

Per your suggestions to increase the air flow, right now I am investigating a
fan for the heat sink.

I experimented a little more yesterday with the old power supply. To the touch,
it didn't seem as though the old fan cooled the heat sink or CPU any better than
the new one. I guess it's entirely possible the new fan's air circulation flow
over the CPU and heat sink is greater than the old one's, since the new power
supply is double the rating of the old one (180 Watts vs. 90 Watts). So maybe I
shouldn't worry about the new air flow direction.

But I am thinking I might get a little better performance overall if I throw in
a heat sink fan, like you said, Ricky. Seems like a fair gamble for under $20.

Performance seems better. For example, it seems I can dump more tasks on the
computer at the same time. (This sometimes froze things up.) I am still getting
some spontaneous Internet disconnects but am now suspecting the phone lines and
weather variations in my area.

Plus, the new power supply is quieter in steady state operation.

"Ricky Eck" wrote
Well, I am tiring to visualize the flow. But am having a hard time doing
it. But let me give you one rule of thumb. The cooler a CPU can run, the
more efficient it will work. The same with the whole computer. The CPU
should have a fan on it. This will keep the CPU cooled down. Now, it kinda
sounds like the fan from the PSU also was the fan that cooled the CPU (on
the old unit). Now the fan is no longer cooling the CPU. So, go to Radio
Shack, or your local computer store, and get a CPU fan. It fits on the heat
sink, and 2-4 screws will screw into, between the heat sink vents. If you
are getting two fans running opposite of each other, (I.E.back forcing out,
and the front fan forcing out, creating a void inside the case), you will
need to reverse one of the two fans. You need to create a nice airflow
through the case (I.E. Front to rear, or Rear to Front.) If you only have
one fan, may I suggest another, to create a nice airflow...

Hope this helps.
Rick