Bennett Price

Default GE Dishwasher not draining problem

If you've got an anti-siphon device mounted on the sink, make sure it is
clean. If blocked it will stop draining.

Licensed to Quill wrote:
LICENSED TO QUILL WROTE:

my GE profile GSD 5930 dishwasher. It works properly
but doesn't drain either properly or completely. RESULT the dishes are
always cleaned with somewhat dirty water and the unit is left with a full
tub

I have called GE in the past and they told me to push the ON switch, wait 5
seconds and push that same ON switch again. They say this will drain the
unit without putting any more water in it

I have been doing this for about four years when occasionally the unit
doesnt drain but suddenly this tactic has stopped working. GE just tells me
to call out a repairman (TRANSLATION: Pay us more than the unit is worth to
repair it) I am a bit reluctant.

Does anyone know how to get this unit to drain please or do I have to undo
all the screws in the back, laboriously take the basket off and laboriously
try to clean all gunge out of the place where GE didnt bother to put a
filter? (I should add that I Have TRIED not putting anything in which would
clog up that basket so I suspect that isnt the problem)

I sometimes wonder why GE doesnt bother with proper filters in their
dishwashers as all these problems seem to be casued by something which
should have been caught in a filter while the cycle is running finding its
way into an area where it can cause damage. Like an impeller in a drain pump
or an exit hose of some type. And their policies on repair costs are
prohibitive at the moment.

Living in New York has its upsides and downsides. The downside is that no
one really wants to come out to repair anything without ripping you off
(yes, it'll cost $90 call out charge and then 45.5 cents per minute plus any
parts we can find we need plus the call out charge again when we see that we
forgot to bring the part you told us was most likely in need of replacement
plus tax etc plus the furtther per-minute charge to take it apart again etc
etc) while on the upside there are always LOTS of people who are replacing
whole kitchens with perfectly serviceable units in them from which one can
take the dishwasher). I suppose if I cant repair this one I will replace it
with the next Miele or possibly Bosch I FIND.

I do find it slightly suspicious that GE dishwwashers work properly for a
while, then diminish in effectiveness after a year or so, then stop working
completely. When I managed to call out aservice agent under warranty, he
said that in places like New York with slightly dirty water, the drain hose
becomes blocked every time anyone does work on pipes in the neighborhood and
anything flushes into the water line in any way. Isnt that just a sign that
they KNOW that they need a proper filter?

"Julie" wrote in message

Yes, I have the same problem with my profile dishwasher. It works

properly but doesn't drain either properly or completely.

I took the dishwasher out to the porch and had my way with it.

Unscrewed anything I could find, poked around, and found two things -

one small (1 cm) shard of glass, and one small piece of paper towel

across a tube connection. The piece of paper towel was potentially

blocking a waterway, so I had hope yet that I might have made a

difference.

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message

On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:21:15 -0700, "Julie" wrote:

and like a stoopid consumer, the new one is another GE Profile. It had
a good rebate on it and promised to be Quiet, which it is. But now I'll
have to cross my fingers on the draining issue ...

I too have a brand new GE dishwasher, although mine is a Triton. This
is the first really quiet dishwasher I've ever owned and I just love
it. We have tile floors, so the house is a bit echo-y and sound
really travels, but we can hardly tell that the dishwasher is running.

I'm now ready for the 15-year-old dishwasher in my other house to
break, because I've been spoiled now and dislike the noise this old
dishwasher makes.

My double oven unit is a GE Profile, by the way, and seems to work
very well, but we've only been in the house for a month, so it's early
days yet. The builder, Del Webb/Pulte, has some sort of sweetheart
deal with GE, so my choices were limited.

Mary