Jason D.

Default RCA TV - Model: F32665 / Chasis:CTC203CX

On Sat, 01 May 2004 02:56:39 GMT, Ken Weitzel
wrote:

Guy Petty wrote:

Hello all,

I have an the following TV

RCA - Model #F32665
Chasis #CTC203CX

A friend of mine owned this unit for a few years, and it reciently
went out on him. His story is that one morning he went to turn on the
TV, and when he turned on the power to the room the TV made a loud
buzzing sound. He asked me to look at it (I'm a Computer Tech, have no
idea what he was thinking) - but anyways, I dont know enough about
TV's to start tearing stuff up.

Well - he just went and baught a new one instead of looking at the
repair option and asked me if I wanted it.

I took the TV apart, trying to track down the source of the sound.

pictures are here

http://www.gpetty.com/TV/

I cant specifically tell where the sound is coming from, just hard to
tell, but the pictures are of the general area.

I probably wont get it repaired either, the nearest place is about 45
minutes, and with the quote they gave me to just come out, I could buy
a new 32" TV.

If I cant fix it......what is the proper disposal of a TV of this
sort?

Thanks for any advice.

Described as buzzing - perhaps the vertical output
transformer (or whatever the younger fellows call it
nowadays

Or, how about the degaussing coil?

32" is worth fixing! It is not that old YET, CTC203 was only around
since late 1999.

Errr.... The deguassing circuit cycles once at each turn on for that
chassis.

Contstant "buzzzzzzzz!" is the power supply noise becasue of short
circuit. Not healthy and will blow out three more transistors & a
small resistor. Maybe a fuse depending how power supply main
transistor blows. If left plugged in too long.

Plug that 32" tv again, chances the power supply will blow. This
buzzing noise is the power supply trying to power into a short
circuit. That short circuit is caused by shorted horizontal
transistor for the flyback transformer. Reason for this short can be
either the L14401 coil (small round bar wrapped around with length of
copper magnet wire has hot melt glue on it. Glue broke the solder
connection on one pin. Look at L14401 solder joint real carefully.
It is very tiny break. Resoldering is short term fix. Unsolder and
remove coil, remove glue, Unplug any glue clogged that hole that wire
went through for that bad solder joint. Reinstall coil and resolder.
Replace horizontal transistor, RCA part number 237470. Test fit that
replacement transistor with one middle pin formed to fit through three
holes WITH transistor flat to the heatsink with all three leads loose
in their holes. Get small bit of heatsink grease on back of
transistor and clamp it in place like you do with a CPU and heatsink.
In thin layer please. Trim excess length and solder. Reassemble set
with all wires in their original positions in their holders.

Secondly, this might be a bad flyback transformer. Look carefully for
a tiny pinhole. This usually happens mostly on 32" and 36" ctc203
models uses same fly and same fly for either two. Not often but does
happen. Cost of that fly is only about 60.

Anyway, get the set in for estimate at good RCA shop (preferably
authorized if you're not comfortable getting into it.

Btw, this glue thing is fairly common.

Cheers,

Wizard